Saturday, August 7, 2010

I'm Teaching Myself To Walk In 5-Inch Stiletto Platforms

This has long been a dream of mine. The stiletto platforms say 'I am too tall and precariously balanced, but my calves are shapely and now you are thinking about me naked.' I like that about them.



I was talking to some friends about shoes recently. One of my girl friends has one- ONE!- pair of shoe. And they're SNEAKERS! Another guys had one pair of sneakers and some broken Dunlops. What is wrong with these people?? I promised to introduce the guy to Aquila (it's the best we can do in Canberra) for some sweet dress shoes, but how do I take a girl in sneaks to heel level in 0.5 seconds? It's so sad.



In assessing these lovelies peeps on their shoe malfunctions, I realised- I don't have enough shoes. Or, at least, I have plenty of shoes, but only two or three pairs actually get worn regularly. This is for several reasons:

1. Height. When I wear ballet flats I'm a foot shorter than everyone in the group. Wearing platform stilettos doesn't even make me that much closer, but it's a start.



2. Balance. It's haaaard to walk in stilettos! Usually, if I wiggle too much while in them I fall over. I mean, I call these 'function shoes', the kind of shoes you wear on a runway or to a function where you sit down 3/4 of the time. 5 seconds walk or 5 hour sit. NOT to go shopping in. Which I did. It took me ten minutes to walk from my car to the shop right above me. Fail.



3. Matching. You know... If you're going to wear crazy shoes they have to match the outfit you're constructing. And electric blue only goes with so much. I have shoes I've never worn because finding a matching outfit has completely eluded me.



4. Price tag. You can't trash the $1200 pair of shoes, babe. It's sacrilege.



5. Fit. Because even though they don't fit... you REALLY wanted them to.



Here are some nice pics to drool over! This first one is John Fluevog- his shoes are INSANE. I love them.






Adieu, mon ami- Danni (PS I say this all the time. It means "goodbye, my friend" right?)

2 comments:

  1. Love those black/white oxfords! They are gorgeous.

    Oui, c'est vrai. "Goodbye, my friend." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My shoe fetish has been somewhat quashed since moving to Canberra, the "country" destroys heels and the student budget limits shopping. But this witty blog really makes me want to go shopping!! I'm mentally counting my wearable shoes now...
    3 pairs of everyday heels
    2 pairs of gym boots
    3 pairs of going out heels (with silk covering)
    2 pairs of heavy goth/bike boots
    2 pairs of regular boots.
    No flats... (in a presentable state).
    Conclusion... MORE SHOES NEEDED

    ReplyDelete